Once a year, I look back and pick my favorite privacy and security resources: articles, podcasts, tools, websites, books, apps, you name it. I have a Resources page with a larger list, but these are my current top pics. These would be great to share with others, too.
- My De-Google Your Life series of articles
- Give the Gifts of Security & Privacy – including downloadable gift coupons
- Be My Guest… No, I Insist: how to use your guest network to be more secure and private
- Peppering Your Passwords and Other Uses for Password Vaults
- Data Privacy Checklist (will be updated in a few weeks)
- What a VPN Is and Isn’t
- How to Safely Download Software
- How to Send Files Securely – my most-viewed blog post
- The Pro & Cons of Antivirus Software
Podcasts & Blogs
If you haven’t gotten into podcasts yet, you really should give them a try. I find it’s easiest to consume them while doing mindless tasks, like running on a treadmill, making dinner, doing household chores, or (in the before-times) commuting. Note that some of these sites call out “privacy” specifically, but they also cover security (they go hand in hand).
- Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons (of course)
- Security Now! podcast – one of my major inspirations
- Privacy, Security & OSINT podcast – more technical, but this guy knows his stuff
- Techlore – great videos on security and privacy, plus their Go Incognito course
- All Things Secured – more great videos on security and privacy
Web Tools & Apps
There’s been an explosion of websites and tools to help you secure your devices and protect your privacy. Lots of great options here.
- Privacy Guides – if you want to get serious about privacy, this is your go-to site
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Online Anonymity – dense but extremely comprehensive
- Signal messaging app – the gold standard for true end-to-end encrypted chat
- Security Planner – personalized security, privacy tips from Consumer Reports
- Operation Privacy – another custom security, privacy tool
- d20key – generate random passphrases
Books and Documentaries on Security & Privacy
The books here would make great gift ideas.
- Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons (of course) – over 200 tips, written for non-technical people
- Privacy is Power by Carissa Véliz (my review)
- Data and Goliath by Bruce Schneier (my review)
- The Social Dilemma (Netflix) – required watching if you use social media
- The Great Hack (Netflix) – about how social media was used to influence elections
- Terms and Conditions May Apply (Amazon Prime)
Need practical security tips?
Sign up to receive Carey's favorite security tips + the first chapter of his book, Firewalls Don't Stop Dragons.
Don't get caught with your drawbridge down!