Below is a list of some of my favorite web resources on security and privacy. Most of these were in my book, but I’ve added some others here and plan to keep this list up to date.
If you are looking specifically for the corresponding reference of Links mentioned in each chapter, Click Here
Fighting the Good Fight
The following organizations are doing some excellent work on behalf of everyday people. Take a look at their web sites, and if you like what you see, send them a little money. If they send you a sticker or magnet, proudly display it where others will see.
You can learn a lot from these documentaries. I highly recommend them.
Blogs & Web Sites
- The Value of Privacy. This is a particular blog entry by Bruce Schneier that is a must-read.
- Naked Security. Run by Sophos, so keep that in mind – but still a great source for security info, written in accessible language.
- Slashdot: great web site for intelligent debate on serious tech issues. Be sure to read the comments (but you should probably create an account so you can dial the quality meter up to 3 or 4).
- EFF Surveillance Self Defense. Tips and tools for safer online communications.
- Reset The Net. A web site devoted to citizen activism and self-help.
- Tips from US-CERT. A site from the US government with lots of tips and info on computer security.
- TipTopSecurity. Great web site that is focused on security from a less technical perspective (much like my book).
- Security Now! This is where I really got into security. While it can get a little technical sometimes, it’s always fun – and full of random other fun stuff like sci-fi books and movies.
- Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons. (Tooting my own horn proudly.)
Just For Fun
Because we all need some fun and humor in our lives!
- XKCD. Great comic strip focusing on geeky stuff. (Language in images not always safe for work.)
- IP Viking. Real-time world map of ongoing cyber attacks!
Technical Web Sites
These web sites are geared toward more technically-savvy types.
- Schneier on Security. Security expert Bruce Schneier’s excellent blog.
- Gibson Research. Great site containing free web security tools from my favorite security podcaster, Steve Gibson. Includes ShieldsUp!, SpinRite (hard drive rescue utility), and lots of other cool stuff.
- Project Zero. Google’s security initiative, promoting web security and privacy.