I self-published the first edition of my book in January 2015. The third edition was picked up by Apress and I just officially started work on the fourth edition! Should be out later this summer. (Suggestions welcome!) About three years ago, I started the newsletter, blog and podcast. This has been quite a journey so far!
The more people follow basic cybersecurity hygiene, the better off we’ll all be – we can develop a herd immunity. The more people that actually spend time and (yes even) money improving their cybersecurity and privacy, the better chance we have of creating a bigger market for secure, privacy-respecting products and services. And finally, we need to be much better educated consumers and citizens, allowing us to vote at the checkout counter as well as the ballot box. I want to do all that I can to further these causes.
For me to be effective at this, I need to reach more people – and I need your help. I’m going to be doing several things this year to reach more people, but there’s just no substitute for good word of mouth. If you’ve enjoyed the stuff I’ve put out there, if you’ve learned something that increased your security or privacy, I would deeply appreciate it if you could help me reach even more people.
Here are some concrete ways you could help. (Note that my contact info is listed here.)
- Forward some newsletters or blog entries to people who you feel could benefit from them.
- Share links to blog articles or podcast episodes on your social media accounts from time to time.
- Leave a positive review on iTunes about the podcast or on Amazon.com about the book. While I would love a little testimonial, any good rating will help.
- Give someone a copy of my book and/or share a note about my book on social media.
- Suggest my book for review to your local newspaper, indie magazine, trade publication, newsletter, book club, blog, etc.
- Ask your local library or favorite book store to carry my book.
- Suggest my book to local libraries, community centers and senior centers as a source for a cybersecurity seminar. (Have them reach out to me if they’d like some help putting this together.)
- If you happen to be in the Raleigh/Durham area, I’m open to doing seminars or talks for interested groups.
- If you know a really cool person that I could interview for the podcast, introduce me to them. Conversely, if you know of someone who might like to interview me, I’m up for that, too.
- If you know of a website that might let me do a guest blog or even just link to my website, send them my info.
- Follow me on LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Become a direct patron: Patreon.com.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give!
Need practical security tips?
Sign up to receive Carey's favorite security tips + the first chapter of his book, Firewalls Don't Stop Dragons.
Don't get caught with your drawbridge down!